Recently, I photographed 365 pages from an old expense diary. Even though I note daily expenses in software, the daily expenses get written to a diary on a daily basis as the entry into the software happens once a week, with a give and take of about two weeks.
I took photos using Samsung Galaxy J5 – 12 mega pixel camera. Dimensions of each image were 3096×4128, while the average size of each image was 2.5MB. After photographing 365 pages, I noted the size of the folder. It was a whopping 925MB.
As this photography exercise was meant for archive purpose, very large images were not needed. Hence I resized the images to 50% their size using ImageMagik and a Windows batch file. On the first iteration, the dimensions of each image was 1548×2064. The size of each image was around 687KB. The size of the folder was around 250MB.
As the resulting image was still quite large, I did another iteration and reduced the size once again by 50%. This time, the folder size became more manageable at around 70MB. The dimension of each image is 580×1032. The size of each image is around 198KB.