Recently, I photographed all pages from my yearly expense diary – in order to maintain a digital copy – as I planned to discard it (to save space in the cupboard).
I photographed the diary using a Samsung J5 mobile camera. In diary has 62 pages in total. On seeing the total size occupied on the hard disk I decided to try reducing the resolution of each page and also save some space.
Here is how the image resolution worked out:
- original image – 4128 x 2322; size – 189 MB
- 50% of original image – 2064 x 1161; size – 55.1 MB
- 25% of original image – 580 x 1032; size – 15.4 MB
A sample of the image for comparing image clarity at various sizes (obviously from another book 🙂
After going through a few pages at each stage, I found that I was able to read the text clearly at 50% resolution. So I decided to retain this size, saving around 120MB of disk space 🙂