Many years ago, when Usenet and newsgroups were the rage, people were habituated to reading and answering posts. Many people used to have signatures below their name. While some used only their names, others used elaborate ASCII art. A few others also used funny and memorable quotes, some of which I have mentioned below.
- If Jedi warrior Yoda be, why can’t speak he English straight.
- On someone asking a question on a news board and apologizing for “asking a stupid question”: There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.
- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.
- On the news of Dolly, the first cloned sheep: If I could clone myself, I would have the clone write programs in my place, while I went on a skiing holiday ……. Wait …… What if I am the clone?
Some links related to the subject
- Humorous Quotes – Fortunes, http://scv.bu.edu/~aarondf/fortunes.html
- fortune (Unix), http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortune_(Unix)
- An archive of fortunes files from various systems, http://fortunes.cat-v.org/
- A simple online version of the Unix fortune program, http://fortune.oddonion.com/
- Continuous web ‘slide show’ of fortunes, http://fortunemod.com/
- A wiki containing all of the original non offensive fortunes, http://fortunes.pbworks.com/
- On-line fortunes with numerous fortune files to choose from, http://www.mtxia.com/cgi-bin/bashFortune/mkFortune.cgi
- An ASCII web comic that provides a fortune.txt feed of its content, http://www.asciiartfarts.com/20091012.html